In our eagerness to cover all the legal advice needs of our clients, a little over a year ago at addwill we decided to open our Aliens and Immigration department. In it we advise and process the wide range of issues in these areas, always based on our high commitment, professionalism and of course personalized service.

Social Rooting is one of the processes about which we receive more questions day after day. It is a temporary residence permit for exceptional circumstances that may be granted to those foreign citizens who are in Spain and either have family ties in Spain or are socially integrated.

This permit can be for residence only, or for residence and work, both as an employee and as a self-employed person.

This authorization lasts for one year and, once we are close to expiration, we can renew it in order to continue in Spain in a completely legal way.

The requirements to be able to obtain this type of residence and/or paid employment permit, that is, through an employment contract, are:

  1. Not be a citizen of a State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or a family member of citizens of these countries, to whom the Union citizen regime applies.
  1. Lack of a criminal record in Spain and in their previous countries of residence for crimes defined in the Spanish legal system.
  1. Not being prohibited from entering Spain and not appearing as rejectable in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement to that effect.
  1. Not being, where appropriate, within the term of commitment not to return to Spain that the foreigner has assumed when voluntarily returning to their country of origin.
  1. Have remained continuously in Spain for a minimum period of three years. For this requirement to be met, absences from Spain during this period cannot exceed 120 days.
  1. Have family ties (spouse or registered de facto partner, ascendants or descendants in the first degree and direct line) with other resident foreigners or with Spaniards, or present a report that proves their social integration issued by the Autonomous Community (or the City Council if the Autonomous Community has authorized it), in whose territory you have your habitual residence.
  1. Full-time employment contract, for a minimum period of 1 year.

The presentation of several contracts in the same occupation, working simultaneously for more than one employer, all with a minimum duration of one year and whose sum must represent a weekly shift of not less than 30 hours in global computation, is also admitted.

If you need more information about this matter, do not hesitate to contact us at